Best Natural Fertilizer For Vegetable Garden Buying Guide
One significant advantage of natural fertilizers is they came directly from animal and plant sources. Organic fertilizers like compost, aged manure, or bone meal are good natural sources of essential nutrients, and better for the environment that most gardeners love.
Synthetic or non-organic fertilizers usually contain only specific nutrients like nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, sulfur, or a combination of these nutrients.
However, they are lost in the soil more quickly especially after watering and can even harm beneficial microorganisms.
The Best Natural Fertilizer for Vegetable Garden Review
Green thumb Gardener occasionally links to product and/or services offered by vendors to assist you with all your gardening needs. Some of these may be affiliate links, meaning we earn a small commission if items are purchased. Check our terms here.
|Brut Worm Farms – Worm Castings Soil Builder – 30 Pounds – Organic Fertilizer – Natural Enricher||Check Current Price|
|Easy Peasy Plants All-Natural Muriate of Potash Granules – Potassium Fertilizer for Gardens||Check Current Price|
|Miracle-Gro Nature’s Care Organic & Natural Tomato, Vegetable & Herb Plant Food||Check Current Price|
|Down to Earth Organic Vegetable Garden Fertilizer||Check Current Price|
|Espoma Garden-Tone Plant Food, Natural & Organic Fertilizer||Check Current Price|
|Simple Grow Solutions- Natural Garden & Lawn Fertilizer||Check Current Price|
|Seaweed Fertilizer – Omri Listed Kelp & Fish Fertilizer for Plants||Check Current Price|
The Best Natural Fertilizer for Vegetable Garden
Organic fertilizers are ideal because they can add soil structure and improve water retention. Natural fertilizers also feed beneficial organisms much like compost tea making the ground easier to work on.
There are many natural fertilizer products in the market, and sometimes it becomes a bit confusing which product is the right one to use in your vegetable garden.
To help you make the best choice, we came up with a comprehensive review of the best natural fertilizer for your vegetable garden, including its pros and cons in using them.
The Brut Worm Farms – Worm Castings Soil Builder is an organic soil amendment designed for natural gardening with a ton of organic nutrients. It provides long-term nourishment to the plant’s soil.
It is rich, dark, and helps in boosting the organic matter content of the ground.
Each 30-pound bag contains fresh castings that are usually less than a week old. As a result, its castings contain substantial beneficial bacteria, microbes, balanced minerals and nutrients.
It can provide long-term nourishment and good nutrient levels to the garden soil for healthy leafy growth.
- It contains fresh premium worm casting or worm compost that is just a week old and does not contain impurities like sticks, sand, and other unnecessary materials.
- The high-quality earthworm casting is well suited for outdoor or indoor plants
- The worms used for the castings were made on farms in Minnesota and not outsourced
- These are fresh castings, but there is too much moisture added
- It is a bit pricey compared with similar products
- Unusual color and consistency compared to some products
The Easy Peasy Plants All-Natural Muriate of Potash Granules – Potassium Fertilizer is a 0-0-60 formula that can help increase plant roots health and tolerance to disease, producing high-quality flowers and fruits.
It also helps your plant synthesize sugars, so it uses them as food.
This potash works excellently with most trees, gardens, trees, and turf. Its granular form makes it easy to spread and provides a good source of chloride and potassium for your garden plants.
- It contains all-natural potash that was mined from 100% natural rock formations
- They come in many sizes, such as 2, 5, 10, and 20-pound bags, so you can buy only what you need for your garden and avoid waste.
- It works great and a good source of potassium
- Not ideal for acid-loving plants like azaleas, hydrangeas, and rhododendron
- It can burn and kill some plants
- It can be a bit more expensive than other comparable products
The Miracle-Gro Nature’s Care Organic & Natural Tomato, Vegetable & Herb Plant Food is an excellent source of calcium for your growing vegetable, herb, and tomato plants. It is full of ingredients that your garden plants can use for up to two months.
It is made from natural and organic ingredients and works fast to nourish your plants and keep them happy.
It can help produce a great harvest. It has an N-P-K ratio of 7-6-9 that provides essential plant nutrients.
- It contains organic and provides natural mineral nutrients.
- It keeps the indoor and outdoor garden plants healthy and stable
- Works great on vegetable plants
- It does not dissolve quickly
- It sometimes stinks like raw sewage
- It may take time to work compared to other non-organic fertilizers
CHECK CURRENT PRICE: Miracle-Gro Nature’s Care Organic & Natural Tomato, Vegetable & Herb Plant Food
The Down to Earth Organic Vegetable Garden Fertilizer is a vegetable fertilizer that works great with your spring greens. It is excellent for growing herbs and summer tomatoes.
This vegetable fertilizer is a five-pound box natural fertilizer that contains an average N-P-K ratio of 4-4-4 formula and can be used in the entire growing season and help to have a more productive garden.
- It’s a well-balanced fertilizer and contains all-natural ingredients.
- It has a versatile mix that is great for hobby farms and backyard gardens
- It increases the yield of vegetables such as basil, tomatoes, peppers, and other vegetables
- Some have a short expiration date
- The 5-pound box might not be enough for larger gardens.
CHECK CURRENT PRICE: Down to Earth Organic Vegetable Garden Fertilizer
The Espoma Garden-Tone Plant Food, Natural & Organic Fertilizer is made from 100% natural and organic ingredients. It can be used to feed various herbs such as chives, basil, sage, and rosemary.
It also works great in growing warm and cool-season vegetables such as kale, tomatoes, lettuce, and squash as a good all-purpose fertilizer. It has exclusive Bio-tone microbes that can provide long-lasting and slow-release feeding.
It is best to mix Garden Tone before planting your herbs and vegetables. Then you can follow again about 7 to 10 days after planting. You can also use it monthly in established plants.
- It has no fillers or sludges and made from all-natural ingredients
- It works great and can make your vegetable garden grow quickly
- It’s easy to apply and helps grow more fruits
- It has a powerful pungent smell and sometimes forms a hard layer on the soil surface
- It can attract pet animals like dog and cats because of the smell
- It can cause molds
CHECK CURRENT PRICE: Espoma Garden-Tone Plant Food, Natural & Organic Fertilizer
The Simple Grow Solutions- Natural Garden & Lawn Fertilizer can help keep your grass and plants healthy and provide them with essential nutrients. It contains a comprehensive blend of micro-nutrients such as zinc, iron, manganese, magnesium, and sulfur that can help in soil nutrition.
It can be used in various flowers, plants, trees, vegetables, tomatoes, citrus, flower beds, etc. It is formulated to be rapidly absorbed by the plants to supply them with much-needed nutrients.
- It is an all-natural fertilizer that easy to apply and contains a range of essential micro-nutrients
- It can help improve the color, taste, and quality of fruits and vegetables.
- It has a 30-day money-back guarantee
- It may contain heavy metals
- It’s a bit pricey compared to the amount of micronutrient you get
- It does not cover the amount listed on the label
CHECK CURRENT PRICE: Simple Grow Solutions- Natural Garden & Lawn Fertilizer
Seaweed Fertilizer – Omri Listed Kelp & Fish Fertilizer for Plants help rebuild soil and improves plants’ color. It’s one of the best organic liquid seaweed fertilizers that greatly enhances plant growth and increases production yields.
It can boosts root development, improve seed germination, and increases the bloom set and size of flowers and fruits. It’s excellent on both indoor and outdoor plants.
This kelp nitrogen fertilizer can be applied in any flower gardens, lawns, vegetables, trees, and seeds.
This organic liquid fertilizer can help make darker green leaves and increase sugar content by increasing and stabilizing chlorophyll in plants. It can also help plants resist disease, frost, and drought and increase plant’s vigor for a healthy garden.
- It is easy to apply, all you need is to mix the suggested amount with water, and you are ready to apply.
- Since its an organic fertilizer, it helps increase beneficial microorganisms in the soil
- It can reduce the use of herbicide and increase mineral uptake
- It can “explode” when you open it and spill its contents, so you must be careful.
- It has a terrible smell and stinks like rotten fish
- It has chunky bits and may block the nozzle of sprayers
CHECK CURRENT PRICE: Seaweed Fertilizer – Omri Listed Kelp & Fish Fertilizer for Plants
What is the Difference Between Organic and Chemical Fertilizers?
Plants need essential nutrients to survive. Its roots system absorbs these nutrients for the plant to thrive and produce leaves, flowers, and fruits that humans eventually consume.
These nutrients like calcium, magnesium, nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, sulfur, and other trace elements are naturally found in the soil and consumed by the plant during its lifecycle. However, these essential nutrients eventually are exhausted and need replenishment.Nature may not be able to replenish these nutrients fast enough, so it needs a little help for healthy soil. Fertilizers help replace the nutrients that your plants consumed. Without fertilizer, you will have poor soil, and your plant’s health and productivity might be affected.
Fertilizers can increase plant productions and maximize your harvest. This is because fertilizers provide the nutrients to plants needed to grow and reproduce. As a result, they can make your plants grow bigger, faster and increase their fruit production with good enough levels of nutrients.
Organic and Natural Fertilizers
Organic or natural fertilizers are created using organic materials such as soybean meal, animal manure, earthworm castings, composted plant material, fish waste, poultry manure, blood meal, and other organic fertilizer ingredients.
These organic fertilizers are often applied by incorporating them in the garden bed or through side dressing. A combination of these compost materials can provide your plants with the essential micro nutrients, macro-nutrients, and other trace elements necessary for them to thrive.
Other fertilizers are found naturally through mining. These include lime, green sand, rock phosphate, guano, and others. They are usually grounded and used alongside other organic fertilizers. .
Chemical or Synthetic Fertilizers
Chemical or Synthetic Fertilizers usually contain a few nutrients like potassium, nitrogen, and phosphorus. They are manufactured using chemical compounds synthesized to form chemical fertilizers.
Some examples of these synthetic fertilizers are ammonium phosphate, potassium sulfate, and ammonium nitrate. There are strict regulations on the sale and distribution of ammonium nitrate to prevent its illegal use.
Chemical fertilizers are often made from petroleum by-products and other chemicals. One major disadvantage of using chemical fertilizers is they tend to kill beneficial soil organisms. They make the soil too acidic, which makes it unsuitable for these organisms to survive.
What is the Advantage of Using Organic and Natural Fertilizers?
The use of fertilizers has become an essential part of modern gardening and agriculture. The wide use of chemical fertilizers has dramatically increased crop yields and made it easier for people to take care of their plants and keep soil healthy.
However, it has also brought some problems. Their overuse has polluted the air and water, hardened the soils, affected beneficial microorganisms, and released greenhouse gases that threaten human lives.
For example, fertilizers like sodium nitrate can cause alkalinity in the soil, making it less fertile and barren. Overuse of chemical fertilizers can cause an imbalance of soil nutrients which can affect plant development.
Many people are now favoring the use of organic fertilizers to avoid many of the problems posed by using chemical fertilizers.
Advantages of Using Organic and Natural Fertilizers
Organic fertilizers like compost, animal waste, alfalfa meal, chicken manure, and feather meal can support microorganisms, fungi, and other beneficial organisms.
It also allows a slower and more consistent absorption of soil nutrients and avoids burning. Organic materials can also enhance water retention and improve soil structure.
Naturally sourced granite sand, dolomite lime, sulfate of potash, and other mined minerals in their natural form can also be used as a natural fertilizer. They can be a good source of high concentrations of essential elements.
What Are The Different Types of Organic Fertilizers?
There are several types of organic fertilizers, and you can use them according to the needs of your plants.
1. Manure – are usually decomposing animal wastes and is a good source of phosphorous. Typically, you will find cow manure at most stores. Other manure sources are ‘green manure,’ which are created from sown or uprooted crop parts and can serve as a mulch or soil amendment.
Fresh manure is a good nitrogen source. Common types of manures are poultry manure which is a rich source of nitrogen. There are also horse manure, alpaca manure, and other animal sources such as sheep and rabbit.
2. Compost – is made from organic materials like food scraps, yard waste, and other materials. There are usually two primary materials for composting taken from a variety of sources. Browns are materials such as branches, twigs, and dead leaves. Greens include vegetable waste, grass clippings, coffee grounds, and fruit scraps.
There are two primary forms of compost: slow compost and worm compost or worm castings. You can purchase concentrated compost that can have a combination of these two types of compost. Worm compost is a good source of magnesium, calcium, and sulfur.
3. All-Purpose organic Fertilizers – It’s a combination of fertilizer blend and organic soil amendments that are excellent sources of minerals and nutrients.
Check out a video for a good homemade fertilizer
How to Fertilize your Garden?
The first thing to do is determine what type of soil and plants you have in your garden. You can also do soil testing to determine the soil nutrition level and soil health. The soil test will show you the amount of nutrients in the soil.
Based on the test, you can purchase the right fertilizer mix. For example, a 3-9-4 NPK ratio means it contains 3% nitrogen, 9% phosphate, and 4% potash.
For vegetable gardens, you can use an all-purpose granular fertilizer. They can be mixed with the soil during planting and used every two months for well-established plants.
On the other hand liquid, organic fertilizers can be mixed with water and applied once a week during the growing season.
Organic fertilizers can be applied through broadcasting or be tilled on the soil’s surface. You can use a top spreader or a rotary spreader for applying small quantities of fertilizers.
Liquid applications can be made using water-soluble organic fertilizers like liquid seaweed or fish waste emulsions.
There is a common misconception that organic fertilizers are so safe that you can add any amount to your plants. In reality, if not used according to instructions, it can also cause some harm to your plants and the environment.
Any organic material can be used as an organic fertilizer. However, proper preparation and having the right ingredients are essential. The number of nutrients for different organic materials may vary, so it may not supply your plant’s nutritional needs.
Avoid the guesswork and have your soil tested to know the correct type of organic fertilizer to use. You have to have a balance of nutrients needed by your plants.
There is a great selection of organic fertilizers on the list. But our Green Thumb Fertilizer Choice is the Brut Worm Farms Worm Castings Soil Builder Organic Fertilizer. It has excellent quality, works well, and a great garden booster.