Best Walk Behind Mower for Hills [Buyer’s Guide]
Last Updated 09/15/20
I know you like that cooling effect on your hilly lawn. This could be the best place to hang out in the summer with your family and friends. But have you thought about how you will mow the area?
Right, cutting grass on the hilly landscape may pose a lot of challenges. If you find a machine bad at the hilly ground, you may risk damaging it or causing injuries to the user.
Without wasting much time, let’s get deeper into finding the best walk behind mower for hills.
- Best Walk Behind Mower For Hills
- Walk Behind Mower for Hills Reviews
- 1 | American Lawn Mower 1204-14 14-Inch Deluxe Hand Reel Mower
- 2 | TB210 Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
- 3 | Lawn-Boy 17732 21-Inch 6.5 Gross Torque Self Propelled Lawn Mower
- 4 | PowerSmart Self-propelled Lawn Mower
- 5 | TB240 High Wheel Self-Propelled Mower
- 6 | Troy-Bilt 12AVA2MR766 21 in. Self-Propelled 3-in-1 Front Wheel Drive Mower
- 7 | Craftsman M215 159cc 21-Inch 3-in-1 High-Wheeled FWD Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
- 8 | Greenworks LMF403 21-Inch 40V Cordless Brushless Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
- 9 | Craftsman M275 159cc 21-Inch 3-in-1 High-Wheeled Self-Propelled FWD Lawn Mower
- 10 | Husqvarna 967820502 LE221R Self-Propelled Battery Lawn Mower
- 11 | Snapper XD 82V MAX Cordless Electric 21″ Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
- 12 | Greenworks MO80L410 Pro 21-Inch Cordless Brushless Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
- 13 | EGO 21 in. Cordless Walk Behind Self Propelled Mower Kit
- 14 | Troy-Bilt TB490 XP 21-Inch 1 90cc 2-in-1 4×4 Self-Propelled Mower
- 15 | TBWC28 Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
- Choosing the Best Walk Behind Mower
- Safety First With These 5 Tips
- 6 Tips To Use a Walk Behind Mower While On Hills
- Final Thoughts
- Related Questions
Best Walk Behind Mower For Hills
Green thumb Gardener occasionally links to product and/or services offered by vendors to assist you with all your gardening needs. Some of these may be affiliate links, meaning we earn a small commission if items are purchased. Check our terms here.
Walk Behind Mower for Hills Reviews
With multiple options in our buying guide, we will begin from the most basic and traditional walk behind the mower. The American lawn mower 1204-14 comes with a 4-blade reel that has 14 inches cutting edge.
The steel blades are operated manually. They are heat-treated to keep them sharp for years.
The environment-friendly mower is built with 8.5 inches polymer wheels for efficiency. You can adjust the cutting blades between 1 to 1.75 inches.
This lawnmower can be rewarding if you maintain your yard more frequently. Its small size and lightweight makes it possible to work with it on your hilly yard. If you also have a small to a medium-sized yard, this mower may be your best option.
Why choose American Lawn Mower 1204-14?
You might find this lawn mower an excellent option if you have a limited budget for a great walk-behind mower.
With under a hundred dollars, you can get yourself an eco-friendly mower efficient for any terrain. Since it requires no gas or electricity, you will have minimal maintenance costs.
- Straightforward assembly
- Easy to use
- It is cost-friendly
- Offers easy storage. Its small sizes require less space for storage
- It is safe to work with
- It has a gap between the wheels and the blades, making it hard to mow areas along your wall.
- Have challenges adjusting the cut height
- More laborious
The TB210 is another excellent walk behind the mower for your sloppy garden. The mower comes with great benefits. Its 159cc Troy-Bilt OHV engine is designed for use in years without changing the oil. No worries of frequently changing the system.
Are you irritated by the clumping of grass whenever you are mowing your lawn? The TB210 Self-Propelled Lawn Mower is designed with an asymmetrical steel deck for convenient grass flow. The deck works well with the S-blade to eliminate clumping.
This mower also comes with a rake bumper for lifting grass upright. This allows for consistent mowing of the grass in your preferred height.
Another great benefit you will enjoy with this mower is the adequate mulch it produces. The mower contains specially designed blades you can use for finer mulch. This helps out in making your lawn healthier by returning the nutrients into the soil.
You also have options for disposing of grass clippings. You can use the rear bagging, side discharge, or reuse the grass as mulch.
Why choose TB210 Self-Propelled Lawn Mower?
It is important to get a mower with either of the above cutting benefits. But with the TB210, you get all of the three benefits;
- A finer mulch
- Rake bumper for lifting grass upright
- Minimized clumping in the one cutting system
- Fuel efficient
- You can control its height conveniently
- Requires little maintenance. You don’t need to change the oil
- It is versatile. The mower can make quality cuts with multiple cutting options
- The self-propulsion system minimizes accidents. It also uses the front-wheel drive, which makes your work easier.
- Contain a Tri-Action cutting system
- Once you exceed the oil level, it is hard to drain it
With just 75 pounds, you can conveniently use Lawn-Boy 17732 for your hilly lawn. Its coveted rear-wheel drive provides excellent traction best for hilly terrain. Despite its weight, you can be sure to use this machinery for years in your yard.
The Lawn-Boy 17732 comes with a 149cc Kohler engine that uses gas. The mower is also one of the best self-propelled lawn mowers from which you can choose. You can quickly start the engine by using a key in the ignition.
Besides, the mower embraces the 3-in-1 cutting technology. What does that mean? You have 3 options for disposing of the grass clippings. In other words, you can discharge, bag, or use the clippings as mulch.
Above all, this lawn mower comes with a 2-point height adjustment. You can adjust its height accordingly to handle it comfortably. These features complement each other making Lawn-Boy 17732 an excellent choice.
Mowing on a sloped lawn has never been simple like this before.
Why choose Lawn-Boy 17732 Self Propelled Lawn Mower?
Most self-propelled lawn mowers are in demand for their convenience when it comes to hilly terrains. This makes mowers of this kind pricey. If you have a limited budget with demand in a self-propelled lawnmower, the Lawn-Boy gives you a chance to have one.
Lawn-Boy 17732 self-propelled mower is light with an affordable budget but fully equipped to do your job thoroughly.
- You can start the engine smoothly and very fast
- Best price for a self-propelled mower
- Low maintenance
- Its self-propelled nature and height adjustment make it easy to handle.
- 3-in-1 cutting technology.
- The rear-wheel drive is a challenge to some users who could prefer high speed
The powerSmart brings you one of the most powerful self-propelled mowers. The 22-inch and 200CC mowers are suited to work well on your hilly lawn. Its several features are worthy of talking about.
This walk-behind self-propelled mower comes with a powerful 4-stroke engine to handle your heavy tasks up the hill. Its large gas cylinder is excellent for keeping your momentum for long before refilling.
The manufacturer also equipped the cooling system adequately. This means the engine will run continuously for a long time to get your job done.
Like most of the lawn mowers I have brought you, PowerSmart Lawn Mower comes with 3-in-1 grass discharging capabilities. Talk about side discharge and mulching abilities, which is excellent for getting the grass clippings back into your lawn.
This capability will see your grass growing healthy and thick. On top of that, the 14.6-gallon bag is large enough to enhance your work efficiency.
Does the large bag give you doubts about efficient moving? No worries. The mower is equipped with a rear-wheel drive with the rear wheels large enough to make your movement easy.
Why choose PowerSmart Self-propelled Lawn Mower?
PowerSmart 22-inch Self-propelled Lawn Mower gives you a wide range of height adjustments. The 5-position height adjustment allows you to alter the cutting height.
You can command the grass height you need between 1.2 to 3.5 inches. Its expansive steel mowing deck also gives you a larger cutting area saving your energy.
- A large gas tank which minimizes the frequency of refilling
- Encourages healthy and thick growth of the lawn
- It allows a lot of flexibility with its several height settings.
- Have a significantly more powerful engine when compared to other models.
- Wide cutting deck
- Contains the rear-wheel-drive with large rear wheels for efficient movement.
- Hard to adjust speed settings
With over 60 years of hands-on steel-wheeled rototillers, Troy-Bilt has continued to deliver in-demand machinery to the gardeners. TB240 High Wheel Self-Propelled Mower is no exception.
The manufacturer based in New York City knows how to make a reliable lawn mower.
TB240 High Wheel Self-Propelled Mower uses a Honda engine that uses an AutoChoke starting system for more efficiency. The self-starting engine is great to have your job done with less energy regarding that you have to mow a hilly surface.
Another great benefit of using a TB240 is its easy maneuverability. How does this happen? Well, TB240 embraces a large 11-inch front-wheel drive. You will only know its efficiency if you have used this kind of mower before.
Nevertheless, it will give you improved control with faster turns.
TB240 High Wheel Self-Propelled Mower uses the TriAction cutting system. The best part of this feature is that you can now get extremely fine grass clippings that can go back to your lawn as mulch and improve your yard’s health.
Above all, the 21-inch deck can be adjusted to allow cutting of your grass at different heights. This mower gives a grass cutting option of 1.25 to 3.75 inches range.
You can also easily change the handle to fit your preferred angle for improved comfort.
Why choose TB240 High Wheel Self-Propelled Mower?
The unique thing about this mower is the deck wash adapter, which makes maintenance of this mower easier. You will only need to connect the adapter to a standard garden hose and watch grass clippings rinsed from the deck’s underside.
- You can adjust the speed conveniently
- Large wheels making it easy to work with on hilly and rough spots
- Gives you great control of the machinery with easy maneuverability
- Employs a TriAction cutting system, creating finely mulched clippings
- Easy to maintain, increasing its durability
- Some users complained of an uneven cut when rear wheels are raised
It’s no doubt; Troy-Bilt produces great quality mowers. Another mower from this manufacturer, the Troy-Bilt 12AVA2MR766, is skillfully designed for efficient mowing on your sloppy garden.
The mower features a self-propelled design, which saves much of your energy. This design gives you the comfort of using minimum energy in handling your mower.
The 21 inches cutting deck is excellent for a small to medium-sized garden. The mower also features a 159 cc OHV engine, which suits well this size of the lawn. The smaller engine size also saves on gas consumption.
Besides, the duo lever consists of 6 position height adjustment. This provides an allowance for changing the cutting heights between 1.25 to 3/75 inches.
Why choose Troy-Bilt 12AVA2MR766 21 in. Self-Propelled Front Wheel Drive Mower?
Troy-Bilt 12AVA2MR766 21 in. A self-Propelled Front Wheel Drive Mower can be a perfect choice for a small to medium garden owner.
The economical mower not only uses less gas but also features high standard parts. This can be a significant investment to serve you for years if you have a limited budget.
- Its front-wheel-drive aids improved control of the machinery and faster turns
- Comes with a 1.9-bushel1.9-bushel bag for an accessible collection of grass clippings
- Mulch kit enables you to put nutrients back into your lawn
- You can attach the side discharge chute to the handle when not in use
- The front-wheel drive looks inadequate on a sloped terrain, mostly when the bag is filled
Craftsman offers a powerful 159cc self-propelled mower with 3-in-1 capabilities. You can choose to use the side discharge, rear discharge, or get mulch to enrich your lawn with more nutrients.
The 150cc OHV gas engine features recoil and an auto-choke. This is great for eliminating the fussing in the traditional mowers. With one pull, your engine will be ready!
Another great offer by Craftsman M215 is the adjustable cutting height. The dual-lever height adjustment gives you 6 different settings for efficiency.
This 21-inch lawn mower might use the front-wheel drive but boasts of 11-inch rear tires. This comes as compensation for the front-wheel drive.
In most cases, the front-wheel drive is considered inadequate for a sloppy terrain but with improved maneuverability. The zig-zag tread tires are great in making your work easier through uneven terrain.
Why choose Craftsman M215 Self-Propelled Lawn Mower?
On top of the already mentioned benefits of Craftsman M215, the mower comes with variable speed settings. You might probably like how little effort you will have to use. Just set your preferred speed and see the self-propelled lawn mower do your job.
- The lawnmower is equipped with side discharge, mulch, and rear discharge. You can choose your preferred option easily
- Contains variable speed
- Contain recoil and auto-choke
- Large zig-zag tread rear wheels for tackling uneven terrain
- Its front-wheel-drive poses difficulties in working on an inclined ground.
Greenworks offers a great self-propelled lawnmower with great features. If you prefer a battery-operated mower and you have an average size inclined garden, you might find this walk behind mower an excellent option.
The LMF403 uses a 40V brushless engine, which is driven by an automatic rear-wheel drive transmission.
The mower comes with a sturdy 21-inch cutting deck that will enable you to easily mow broad areas within a short time.
The 3-in-1 design makes it possible for you to choose the option to do with the grass clippings. You can mulch, use side discharge or bag the grass clippings depending on what seems best for you.
Above all, the Greenworks LMF403 Self-Propelled Lawn Mower comes with a single lever featuring 7 position adjustment controls for increased convenience in making appropriate adjustments to the height.
Why choose Greenworks LMF403 Self-Propelled Lawn Mower?
This cordless mower from the Greenworks is one of the models with a smaller engine from the manufacturer. However, the self-propelled 40V mower features a dual battery port designed to store an extra 5mAh battery.
This feature extends your work time, giving you more efficiency of the work you will do on your lawn.
- Provides additional power using the dual battery port
- Starts easily with just a push on the start button
- Produces minimal noise
- Comes with a long-life battery
- Provides increased convenience with the multiple adjustment positions
- It is poor on rough terrain
It is no doubt; craftsman has built its credibility in the mowers market. Another product from this company, the Craftsman M275 Self-Propelled FWD Lawn Mower, comes with several features adapted to lawns on steep terrains.
Like the Craftsman M215, this mower is also self-propelled with an engine of 159cc capacity. Moreover, it also has a 3-in-1 functionality giving you various options of dealing with the grass clippings. That is the rear and side discharge or mulching options.
Additionally, the self-propelled mower might be the perfect choice for trickier areas and slopes. The manufacturer designed the machine with front-wheel-drive and large rear wheels with zig-zag treading to offer maximum assistance.
Why choose Craftsman M275 Self-Propelled FWD Lawn Mower?
An outstanding feature of this Craftsman product is the deck wash. You can attach a standard garden hose after use for quick and easy washing of the deck.
With minimal effort, it will help you keep the machine under good condition.
- Adjustable speed
- Comes with a deck wash
- Easy to assemble
- You can start it quickly and conveniently with an auto choke
- The single-speed setting might not be ideal in some environments.
This could be a perfect choice for battery-powered lawn mower lovers. The LE221R comes with a 40V battery self-propelled lawn mower at your convenience.
Another great feature you will find rewarding in this product is the 3-in-1 cutting system. You can opt for bagging your grass clipping, side discharging, or using them for mulching. The cutting deck covers 21 inches of the cutting area.
With the machine’s design, you might find this mower great for tight spaces, with obstacles.
Moreover, for a superior mowing experience, the LE221R is self-propelled. Unique from most self-propelled lawn mowers, LE221R features an easy-to-understand keypad.
Why Choose This Husqvarna Mower?
Husqvarna 967820502 LE221R features a twin-bay battery system. This is probably one of the best features you can get in a battery-powered lawn mower.
The extra power allowance ensures you have an extended run-time to ensure that no grass in your yard remains uncut.
- Features a twin-bay battery system for extended run-time
- Requires no engine maintenance
- Increased power and maneuverability
- Its excellent design best for tight spaces and gardens with obstacles
- Features a 3-in-1 cutting system
- It is expensive
Snapper XD Self-Propelled Lawn Mower now offers great benefits you could never fathom in a lawn mower. With an 82V Lithium-ion 2.0Ah Battery Kit, you can now mow with the Snapper XD up to 45 minutes at a stretch.
The mower also comes with a fast charger to quickly refill your machinery whenever you run out of battery juice.
Another great feature to do with power is the 1000-watt brushless motor, which ensures that the battery juice is used efficiently and less maintenance. This is a great long-term solution for power issues that is the heart of a self-propelled lawn mower.
It also has 7 different height options that you can adjust to fit your requirement. With its rubber handle, you can have a comfortable grip. You can also now forget about the several tedious pulls to start your engine.
With just a single push on the start button, your machine is ready for work.
Snapper XD Self-Propelled Lawn Mower boasts of a 21-inch 3-in-1 cutting deck. Like most walk behind mowers in our list, the grass clippings can either be mulched, side discharged, or bagged as per your preference. You can bag as many grass clippings as possible up to 2.1 cubic feet.
Why Choose Snapper XD Self-Propelled Lawn Mower?
The best thing about the 21-inch Snapper XD is its smart load sensing technology. How does it work?
The intelligent feature can change the power transmission to the blade automatically according to its demand. This ensures quick and efficient cutting, minimizing waste of juice from the battery.
- Comes with a powerful brushless motor
- Powerful Lithium-ion 2.0Ah Battery
- Automatic blade speed adjustment
- Efficient start push button
- Have 7-position height adjustment
- Employs 3-in-1 grass clippings disposal options
- It produces a relatively loud noise.
This is another excellent electric-powered lawn mower from Greenworks. The Pro Brushless Self-Propelled Mower features an efficient 21-inch steel deck enabling you to cover massive areas in a short time.
Besides, this machine is built with a high power-saving feature, the innovative Smart Cut technology. This feature is responsible for automatically adjusting the blade speed to suit the required cutting power.
On top of that, the mower also comes with a built-in 3-in-1 feature allowing you to conveniently use the grass clippings on mulch or use the rear bag to dispose of the clippings. You can as well opt to use the side discharge.
Greenworks MO80L410 also comes with a powerful 4Ah battery that keeps your working momentum up to 45 minutes in every single charge.
Lastly, but not the list benefit, you can set its adjustable cutting deck into 7 different positions, allowing you to cut your grass according to the appropriate height.
Why choose Greenworks MO80L410?
Can you possibly find a more powerful machine with less noise? Greenworks MO80L410 is fitted with an 80V brushless motor, which gives you more torque.
On the other hand, the manufacturer has worked on the machine to minimize noise. This means you will incur fewer distractions while operating on the machine.
- Produces less noise
- Comes with a sturdy wide steel deck
- Saves power with the Smart Cut technology
- Have a longer battery life
- Multiple height adjustment positions for cutting convenience
- Comes at a relatively high cost
One of the most outstanding features of this mower is the high capacity battery. The 7.5Ah 56 V ARC Lithium can run the mower for up to 60 minutes. This time is enough for you to mow your yard in excess of an acre.
Also, no worries if you need more time to get your job done. The quick charging feature will get your machine back running in a short time
The EGO power has also fixed a charging sensor to make full use of the mower battery. This feature allows the engine to release power according to the load. This makes it possible for this mower to use the battery efficiently through a massive area without wasting energy.
With the self-propelling features, you only need to direct the mower’s cutting motion. Besides, this mower can propel itself over slopes as well as up the hill without stalling.
Another remarkable feature by EGO Walk behind Self Propelled Mower is its high performing battery. It can provide power on the propelling device and blades in up to 60 minutes. These are essential factors when dealing with large areas.
This mower also comes with an instant button to make it easy and fast to start the engine. Additionally, you can adjust the mower’s speed to get it run at a desirable pace.
You can also adjust the cutting height in a range of between 1.5 to 4 inches. This comes with 3 various capabilities of what to do with the grass clippings.
Like most mowers we have looked at, this feature can help you decide whether to use the side discharge, rear discharge, or the mulch option.
Why choose EGO 21 in. 56-Volt Lithium-ion Walk Behind Self Propelled Mower?
While the EGO mower can generate sufficient power for cutting through thick grass, the unit hardly produces any sound. This prevents distracting other people as you do your business. It also allows you to enjoy doing your task quietly.
- Charges the battery extremely fast in less than an hour
- Have a longtime operation of up to 60 minutes
- It is easy to operate the mower, keeping in mind its self-propelled feature
- Easy and a bigger allowance to adjust cutting heights of grass accordingly.
- Does not produce much noise
- The mulching option is inadequate.
If you need a Stable and reliable mower for your lawn, you might consider a Troy-Bilt TB490 walk behind a Self-Propelled Mower. The mower has been constructed to give it excellent stability for cutting tough grass out of your yard.
The Troy-Bilt comes with great power you can count on through thick and tough grass. The 190cc Honda engine is reliable with less fuel consumption. Its 21-inch cutting deck is made from hardened steel for durability. Additionally, this mower comes with a 6-position height adjustment for a better cut.
Another excellent feature that Troy-Bilt brings you is the all-wheel drive. This gives you control of what you want out of your mower by changing between front-wheel, rear-wheel, or 4-wheel. Drive.
Why choose Troy-Bilt TB490 walk behind Self-Propelled Mower?
If you are the kind of an individual who likes a clean and professional look after mowing, you might find this mower your best option.
Troy-Bilt TB490 produces a more even cut that results in better mulching. Thanks to the TriAction cutting system.
Grass first goes through a rake guard through the S-blade to be sliced up, before advancing to the symmetrical deck.
The deck is skillfully designed to provide a strong vacuum that enables free circulation of the clippings for better mulching.
- Comes with all-wheel drive perfect for handling every terrain
- Prevents clamping of grass
- Contains efficient construction for comfortable handling
- Great cut quality
- Produces fine grass clippings for a better mulch
- The 4-wheel drives make it hard to make turns.
Lastly, but not the least, is another high-performance self-propelled lawn mower from Troy-Bilt. It is powered by a vibrant and formidable 195cc OHV engine.
Besides, the 28-inch lawn mower features the 3-in-1 functionality. It is also built with a premium deck wash for cleaning the mower after the job is done.
On top of that, this mower features an In-Step variable speed drive system, which helps to automatically adjust the speed accordingly. It also offers a reliable velocity control.
In addition, Troy-Bilt designed this machine with hilly terrain in mind. This walk behind mower features a Rear Wheel Drive System, which enables smooth maneuvering on inclined terrains.
Why choose TBWC28 Self-Propelled Lawn Mower?
Despite the hectic work you have to do mowing a hilly lawn, you might find it unwise to use riding mowers. If you would like your job done in the shortest rounds through your lawn, you need a wider cutting deck.
This is exactly what Troy-Bilt had in mind to bring you the TBWC28. The 28-inch cutting deck will probably help you quickly cover a large area on your lawn before getting exhausted.
- Wider steel cutting deck of 28 inches to get more work done quickly
- Has 3-in-1 functionalities
- Features a premium deck wash for a perfect wash after operating with your machine
- Rear-wheel drive for increased maneuverability in various terrains
- Automatically changes speed according to the need saving power
- Some users complained of starting issues
Choosing the Best Walk Behind Mower
A lot of things should fall into consideration when choosing the best walk behind mower for hills.
Remember, you should frequently keep the grass in your garden short for healthy benefits.
This means you have to find the most suitable machine for your mowing needs. Here are the primary factors to help you make your best choice.
Security is of the utmost importance when mowing hilly landscapes. A high number of injuries and even deaths have been recorded from mowing in these environments.
The rear-wheel drive mowers have been recommended for hilly lawns.
This is because of their significant cracking and stability.
Always ensure more an inclined lawn, sideways beginning from the bottom. This way, you will have more control. You should also avoid mowing when the grass is wet. Remember to read the manufacturer’s instructions for additional safety measures.
2.| Weight of the Lawnmower
Your strength matters a lot in determining the exact weight of your walk behind mower. This is a particular concern, especially when mowing hilly lawns. Heavier mowers that exceed your strength have a greater risk of careening out of balance.
You should go for a mower if you are in a position to drive without struggling.
3.| Terrain of Your Yard
Walk behind mowers are among the best choices for sloppy terrains. Most people prefer the self-propelled mowers for more efficiency.
This kind of mower will only require you to control the cutting by using less energy. Some mowers also come with automatic blade speed adjustment.
4.| Front-wheel drive or back wheel drive?
Rear-wheel powered mowers are more suited for hilly lawns than their front-wheel drive counterpart. This is because of their excellent traction compared to the front-wheel drive mowers.
However, the rear-wheel mowers can be harder to steer than their rival, the front-wheel drive. If you have to go for the front-wheel drive mowers, ensure the tires are well-tread and large enough to thrive through the thick grass.
5.| Is it Self-Propelled?
Most individuals will look for this feature. This is because of the ease of handling such lawnmowers. You can easily maneuver, store, and, most importantly, save your energy. However, you will have to spend higher on these lawnmowers.
6.| Power Source
Lawnmowers come with various power sources. From manual push mowers, you have several options you can choose from to best suit your mowing needs.
If noise is your primary concern, you can go for the manual mowers. Apart from their quietness, they are the best in preserving your environment with their zero emissions. Their downside is the efforts you have to apply to push them.
For those who also will prefer electric-powered lawn mowers with fewer interruptions, there is a corded mower. This one will run as long as it is plugged into the power source.
However, this kind of mower risks the user’s safety if he/she accidentally gets the line cut by the blade.
On the other hand, there are cordless mowers that can be recharged. This brings you quieter and more environmentally friendly mowers.
Most are equipped with an extra battery that you can change to keep your job going on. The downside is the time off that you have to take to recharge your battery if you are mowing a vast area.
Lastly but not the less important is the gas mowers. This kind of mower provides the most strength to thrive through the thick and tough grass.
Their drawback is the high cost of maintaining them and the louder noise they produce.
7.| Mower’s Deck Size
The most important factors to consider in a walk behind lawn mower are not complete without focusing on the deck size. This determines the intensity of work you can do on one go.
The larger the deck size, the fewer efforts you will have to use. Larger deck mowers are more economical, as they will do more work in the sorter time.
If you have trees, flowers, or any obstacles in your lawn, a smaller sized deck, is more appropriate.
Safety First With These 5 Tips
Following these safety tips will help you while mowing on hilly terrain.
1. Avoid riding mowers for steep hills. If you have to use one, ensure it is made for hilly surfaces. With these mowers, you can find relevant instructions of use. If you are also not sure that it is made for steep terrain, look at the rear wheels. Most of the riding mowers for this terrain will have larger rear wheels for more traction.
2. Be careful. You can easily trip and fall when working on inclined terrains. You should also keep in mind that you are handling a machine, so mow slowly to avoid accidents.
3. Mow across the hill. Begin either at the top or the bottom of the hill. Unless you are using a riding mower that requires mowing up and down the hill, you should mow your hilly yard sideways. This style will prevent the mower from flipping over or sliding back towards you.
4. Ensure you are familiar with your environment. This way, you can avoid sudden risks across the yard.
5. Read the manufacturer’s instructions on the best use of any given machine. Some lawn mowers have specific guidelines on using the machines on hilly landscapes.
6 Tips To Use a Walk Behind Mower While On Hills
If you get a mower designed explicitly for sloppy areas, you might find it easier to use. I have compiled the best machines, and I will show you exactly how you can mow your hilly garden.
- Consider mowing side to side rather than up and down the hill
- Always check on the operating manual to avoid exceeding the limits specified by the manufacturer
- Remember to check on the safety measures
- Be careful about the bumps, holes, and rocks, or any hidden object
- Avoid mowing on wet or damp grass
- Avoid mowing near ditches and drop-offs
With much having been exhausted, the lighter job of deciding your best walk-behind mower for hills remains with you.
Meanwhile, I would prefer the Husqvarna LE221R Self-Propelled Battery Lawn Mower. This is because of the mower’s capabilities to do well in a hilly environment.
The 21-inch all-wheel-drive mower is versatile with improved traction to keep you safe. The mower also employs the TriAction cutting system for better mulch, as well as a clean and professional cut.
Nevertheless, you have the final decision on the most appropriate walk-behind mower for your garden. Look carefully into your yard’s nature and the best mower that will perfectly meet your needs.
1. How Do You Mow Hills?
There are key things you should consider when mowing hills. First, check the lawn you intend to mow and remove unwanted obstacles. Start mowing before tackling the hill to avoid starting the mower on a slope.
Ensure you are more side to side, starting from the bottom upwards. This way, you have minimal chances of losing your control.
2. Are zero turn lawn mowers appropriate for hills?
Zero-turn mowers are meant to do the work faster, with most of them using rear wheels for steering. They also have less traction.
When it comes to mowing the hilly landscape, safety is of more concern. This makes these mowers inappropriate for hilly terrains.
3. Which is the most suitable mower for hills between push and self-propelled mowers?
The push mowers demand more force from the user. On the other hand, the self-propelled mowers can move on their own.
With that in mind, you will only need less effort in controlling the mower. This means the later machine will work best on hilly terrain.