Best Weed Sprayer
Last Updated 09/09/20
As unwanted as they are, weeds are an unavoidable part of your garden. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t stop them.
Well, that’s where a weed sprayer comes in. However, getting the best weed sprayer can turn out to be a hurdle.
Well, I’ve reviewed seven great weed sprayers for you. Dive in!
- Weed Sprayer Reviews
- 1 | Chapin 20002 2 Gallon Lawn, Sprayer
- 2 | VIVOSUN 1.3 Gallon Lawn and Garden Pump Pressure Sprayer
- 3 | ITISLL Garden Pump Sprayer Portable Yard & Lawn Sprayer
- 4 | Chapin 20541, 1 Gallon Lawn, Garden and Multi-Purpose Sprayer
- 5 | Smith Contractor 190216 2-Gallon Sprayer
- 6 | Field King Professional 190328 No Leak Pump Backpack Sprayer
- 7 | Petra Powered Backpack Sprayer with Custom Fitted Cart
- What is a Weed Sprayer?
- Types of Weed Sprayer
- Factors to Consider When Buying a Weed Sprayer
- Best Time to Use a Weed Sprayer
- How Regularly Should I Sprayer
- Final Thoughts
Green thumb Gardener occasionally links to product and/or services offered by vendors to assist you with all your gardening needs. Some of these may be affiliate links, meaning we earn a small commission if items are purchased. Check our terms here.
Weed Sprayer Reviews
Our first pick is this super-efficient sprayer from the stable of Chapin. This option is renowned for its optimal performance and suitability for various purposes. You can easily apply it to a variety of spraying needs. And this is thanks to its adjustable nozzle.
This option also comes with Chapin’s Anti-Clog Filter. With it, you can say bye to clogging as it prevents dirt from ever accumulating.
It also comes with a funnel-shaped tank that allows you to pour and mix liquids easily. The great thing is that you can now avoid chemical spillage and waste. Even more, you can get the best concentration of chemicals that you need.
- It’s budget-friendly allowing you to save and still get optimal performance
- It comes with a functional and user-friendly design that makes it easy for long-distance usage
- It comes with a shut-off design that supports long hours of effective spraying
- It comes with a translucent tank that allows you to monitor your tank content when cleaning and filling easily
- There have been complaints about the durability of the nozzle and tank
- There have been complaints about the occurrence of air leaks
- It might be somewhat tricky to maintain the discharge pressure
- It doesn’t come with a release valve that allows you to expel air from the tank
- Size: 1.3 Gallon
- PSI: 40 PSI
- Type: Hand-pump
Another great option that I have found useful is this 1.3-gallon sprayer from VIVOSUN. It’s incredibly affordable, which allows you to save on your purchase.
This product also supports multifunctional purposes with its adjustable nozzle. As such, it’s useful for both outdoor and indoor use.
Even more, it comes with a large tank opening. And this enables you to fill in your tank quickly while avoiding waste. You also avoid spills, which can cause a safety risk. It supports a straightforward, open, fill, and close.
This option comes built for safety and comfort. It comes with a 56.5cm long watering wand that provides better reach. You can easily reach all areas of your garden with ease.
- It has a translucent bottle with an added calibration scale that allows easy monitoring of your tank contents
- Comes with a one-year warranty that assures durability and quality
- It comes with a comfortable handle with a shut-off function that helps your hand to rest while you place the sprayer on your shoulder
- It comes with a thickened bottom which significantly improves stability
- Its information and instruction package is not that comprehensive and may not be best for first-time users
- It’s made of plastic and may not represent the best option for durability
- There have been complaints about the product breaking
- Size: 1.3-2 Gallon
- PSI: 40 PSI
- Type: Backpack
Well renowned for its ease of use, this product from ITSLL is another top option for weed spraying. It comes with a telescope wand that you can adjust to as much 36 inches. With it, you get access to the otherwise inaccessible places in your garden.
It’s also effortless to refill thanks to its large bowl mouth. An added advantage is that you avoid creating a mess and chemical leakage. You won’t even need to stress when cleaning.
This option also comes with an adjustable nozzle that you rotate between strong streams and fine mists. This allows you to spray effectively regardless of the season.
It also comes with a lockable function that allows you to stop spraying. This way, you can give your hands some rest and avoid spillage.
- It comes with a translucent and marked tank that allows you to monitor refill and easily mix chemicals
- It comes with an adjustable and padded shoulder strap that makes carrying and transportation more painless than ever
- It comes with a thickened base which provides extra stability to the sprayer
- It comes with an additional ring gasket that’s useful in cases where replacement is needed
- There have been complaints that this option was cheaply made
- It does not come with a filter that prevents clogging
- It’s not the best choice for large areas
- Size: 1 Gallon
- PSI: 35-40 PSI
- Type: Hand-pump
Like every product from Chapin, Chapin 20541, is another design that provides optimal performance. It comes with an adjustable nozzle that supports a wide application.
The first nozzle comes as a foaming nozzle that allows you to spray with accuracy. It then has a cone nozzle that supports multiple spray patterns.
This option also supports an anti-clog filtration system that allows your tank to stay free of dirt. In turn, you can easily maintain it and avoid stress when cleaning. Combined with its user-friendly design, this model supports ease of use and transportation.
- It comes with a translucent tank that allows you to monitor refill
- It comes with a 34-inch hose and 12-inch wand that helps you to reach vast areas in less time
- It has a wide tank opening that makes refill and cleaning smooth and seamless
- It has a PSI between 40 and 60 making it fit for effective spraying
- It’s not the best choice for large areas due to its 1-gallon capacity
- There have been complaints about leakage after usage
- There have been complaints about its design security-wise
Another pick that delivers excellently is the Smith 190216 sprayer. It offers a long-lasting experience that allows you to get full value for your money.
The great thing about this choice is that it comes with loads of great features that provide optimal performance. There’s the 2-gallon capacity that allows you to spray for long.
Even more, it comes with a lock button and a shut-off grip that ensures your convenience and security as you spray. You also get to enjoy a filter that stops your sprayer hose from clogging.
It is incredibly durable, thanks to its Viton seals. With it, you can be sure your sprayer is less likely to get rusted from chemicals.
- It comes with an adjustable nozzle (five) that allows you to apply this sprayer to a variety of purposes
- It comes with a padded strap around the shoulder that provides convenience as you carry it along
- Its tank comes in a teardrop shape which proves more stability and allows you to carry it easily
- It has a pressure release device that ensures there is no discharge before you open the tank
- It’s not the best option when it comes to thick herbicides or pesticides
- There have been reports that the plunger o-ring deteriorates after a short while
- There have been complaints about leakage
- Tank Size: 4 Gallons
- PSI: Up to 150 PSI
- Weight: 12.8 lbs
- Hose Length: 24"
- Battery: No
Our next pick is Field King’s heavy-duty weed sprayer. This option comes with a capacity to accommodate over 15 liters, that is, 4 gallons. With it, you can avoid multiple refills and spray a broader area in a shorter period.
Typically tagged the professional choice, this enables you to get rid of weeds like a pro. It’s efficient and compatible with various chemicals.
Even more, it supports four distinct nozzle types. This design includes the foaming nozzle, flat fans, and a brass adjustable nozzle type. As such, you don’t need to purchase multiple sprayers, and it gets the job done. And for loads of purposes at that.
It also comes with no-leak functionality that ensures there’s no leakage. In turn, you avoid wastage, and your body doesn’t get exposed to these chemicals.
- It supports as much as 150 PSI which guarantees efficient spraying regardless of your garden size
- I come with a comfortable strap that promotes ease of carriage and provides convenience as you spray
- It has readily available replacement parts that you can purchase at cost-effective prices
- It comes with a filtration system that ensures you can avoid dirt and later clogging
- Storage can be somewhat tricky due to its large size
- It doesn’t come with a foldable handle
- There have been complaints about the gasket
- Size: 6.5 Gallon
- PSI: 70 PSI
- Type: Backpack & cart
The last pick of the day is this Petra powered sprayer. This sprayer supports whole loads of functionalities that make it desirable.
First is the custom cart that provides easy transportation. It also comes designed with a steel frame that promises the durability of the cart.
This option also comes with a 100-foot quality hose. With it, you can easily cover broad areas without carrying your sprayer around. This allows you to be even more comfortable as you discharge liquid from its 6.5-gallon tank.
Multiple nozzle attachments allow it to fit in for a variety of purposes easily. You also enjoy a filter that prevents debris and dirt from getting into the tank.
- It comes with a battery that can last as much as eight hours and ensures ease of spraying
- It comes with a 1-year warranty
- It comes with exceptional customer support
- It provides a multi-purpose wand that supports use with various chemicals
- It doesn’t offer excellent storage for its long hose making it hard to use
- It’s quite expensive
- There have been complaints about leakage
What is a Weed Sprayer?
Just like you, I have to face weeds now and then in my garden. So, usually, I get some recommended chemicals to get rid of them.
Well, being that they are chemicals, I need a container to house them. And, of course, help discharge them in my garden.
That’s what a weed sprayer is all about. You can fill it with herbicides or pesticides. And just like its name, use it to spray the chemicals on weeds.
Types of Weed Sprayer
So, before we get to the best weed sprayers, there’s a need to know the available types. This is because some sprayers are more suitable for some uses than others.
I’ve had some experience with various weed sprayer. Well, here are the major types of weed sprayers.
1. Hand-Held Sprayers
This is perhaps the most accessible and affordable weed sprayer out there. As the name suggests, it’s hand-held.
As such, it’s effortless to carry around and houses little amounts of liquid. So if you’re looking to spray the small garden in your backyard, then it’s a great choice.
2. Backpack Sprayers
The next option that you can use is a backpack sprayer. Well, its name gives it off.
It’s a sprayer that you can place on your back. Then carry around to spray your lawn or garden.
While it’s larger than the hand-held option, it’s not the largest. As such, it’s only fit for medium-sized areas.
Generally, as long as you’re going to spray for over thirty minutes, this is your best option.
3. Wheeled Sprayers
Another type of sprayer that you can rely on is the wheeled sprayer. It’s just like the name suggests. It’s on a wheel.
Usually, the tanks are large, and it’s impossible to carry it on your back. So, it comes placed on a wheel that you can drive around.
Like it already appears, this weed sprayer works for large areas. You don’t want to use it for a small space.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Weed Sprayer
You wouldn’t want to get a hand weed sprayer for your large lawn or garden. And I am talking from personal experience.
This was what I did when I got a bigger yard. I tried using my previous and smaller weed sprayer.
Well, it turned out to be a mess. So, although I wasn’t buying a new one, it’s the same when purchasing.
You’ll need to put a few things in mind. Ready? Let’s find out.
1. The Size of Your Garden or Lawn
You don’t want to get a new weed sprayer that doesn’t get the job done efficiently. Well, that’s why you need to consider the size.
Like I told you, my garden suffered when I didn’t. So, ensure that your weed sprayer can match the size of your lawn.
For instance, hand-held sprayers might work for small gardens. You don’t want to use it for bigger gardens.
2. Pressure and Capacity
The pressure functionality of your potential purchase option is something you can’t underestimate. And this is very important if you want to spray effectively.
Typically, the pressure capacity of your tank determines how many chemicals it can discharge at a spray. Ensure you pick one that’s high enough and fit for your intended purpose.
For instance, you might need one with up to 150 PSI if you’re going commercial level. So, check out your spray requirement and pick appropriately.
Next up is the capacity of your sprayer. Remember how I kept using my hand-held sprayer after I got a bigger garden?
Well, one thing I had to do was frequently refill. And this made my task even more stressful.
So, ensure you pick a tank that’s reasonably big enough for your spraying needs.
We all love a versatile device or product. And that’s even more important when it comes to choosing the best weed sprayer.
There are various spray specifications for different purposes. And there are multiple nozzles fit for each position. For instance, there’s the cone spray, streaming nozzle, and flat fan, among others.
You don’t want to have to get different sprayers for different spray purposes. You want one that supports multiple nozzles.
So, ensure you look out for a weed garden sprayer with an adjustable nozzle. This way, you can adjust one sprayer to satisfy different purposes.
As much as maintaining a garden is hard work, nothing says I can’t have comfort. And that’s the same for you.
Especially if you’re getting a backpack weed sprayer, you’ll need to prioritize this. You don’t want to carry a heavy backpack when you have to spray for hours. I didn’t like my back after I did.
So, look out for the weight. If you need a bigger tank, you might just need to consider a wheeled weed sprayer.
However, beyond this, you’ll need a sprayer that’s comfortable in its build. For instance, some sprayers come padded to ease the pressure on your shoulder. Others cones with a comfortable wand as you spray.
These are some of the things you need to look out for. So, ensure you’re confident your weed sprayer can bring comfort.
Guess who doesn’t want to buy a weed sprayer and need to replace them in weeks? Well, everyone! And that’s why you’ll need to look out for the durability of your potential buy option.
One area you should consider is the tank material. You need to remember you’ll be using chemicals and not water. As such, you’ll need a tank that supports exposure to pesticides and herbicides.
You’ll need to avoid one that can quickly get rusted. For instance, it might be a better idea to go for steel than plastic. However, this doesn’t mean that plastic won’t work well.
Also, look out for a sprayer that has a durable and robust build. This way, you don’t have them getting damaged from a little fall.
6. Ease of Repair
We hardly want to have to repair our machines. Unfortunately, it’s sometimes unavoidable.
However, what matters is having a machine that you can quickly repair. And that’s another thing you need to factor in.
You’ll need to ensure it’s a sprayer that you can easily find its spare parts. It would be best to get one that you can repair yourself. This way, you don’t expend unnecessary costs on it.
7. Ease of Maintenance
There’s also the need to consider the ease of maintenance. I bet you would love a sprayer that you can easily clean. Well, you’re not alone.
Maintenance is necessary to ensure durability. And getting one that’s hard to clean can mean your sprayer becomes less durable. Even more, you’ll probably need to make more repairs than you would love.
So, ensure you prioritize a sprayer that allows you to clean it properly. For instance, some sprayers have a large drain function that supports this.
I think it would be best if you go for this. My experience so far hasn’t proved me wrong.
Best Time to Use a Weed Sprayer
Although the hard way, I found out it’s not just about getting the best weed sprayer. There’s also the need to know when to spray those weed-killing chemicals.
For instance, I found weeds coming back even stronger after each season. And, of course, it greatly affected my garden.
While it took some time to figure it out, as soon as I did, results were better. Well, here’s what you need to know.
From my experience, it’s best to use your weed killer during spring and fall. It’s quite simple.
You use a pre-emergent weed killer during spring. This way, you don’t allow the weeds to grow. Then after eight weeks, you get the post-emergent killers to work. This way, you kill the intrusive and stubborn ones.
Fall is also another reasonable time. Usually, weeds hibernate by fall for winter. As such, they are more vulnerable. And by spraying them, you make it impossible for them to survive winter.
Time of the Day
I also found out that the time of day matters. For best effects during warm weather, consider spraying by afternoon or morning.
However, when everywhere is cooler, the early afternoon might be the best choice.
How Regularly Should I Sprayer
Now that I’ve told you when to spray, you might be wondering how often. Should you spray your garden every day or every week? Well, I’ve got you covered.
The first thing you need to understand is that excessive spraying is dangerous. This is because it can kill more than the weeds and kill your garden fruits.
As such, you’ll need to spray moderately to avoid this. Even more, it would be best if you treat your garden after spraying.
For instance, you can start around April and continue to around October. However, this doesn’t require that you spray every day. Once in a while will do the trick.
However, don’t forget to ensure the chemical makes direct contact with the weed. As such, you might want to spray again around May and June.
You’ll need some help in picking a great option. That’s why I’ve provided seven great options for you. However, I think the Field King Professional 190328 No Leak Pump Backpack Sprayer comes off as the best option.
Not only is it reasonably priced, but it also comes with loads of great functionality. It supports large areas thanks to its 4-gallon capacity.
Even more, it supports multiple nozzles and a PSI of up to 150. You don’t just get value; you get value at the best price.
There’s also the high level of comfort it brings with its adjustable and padded strap. So, I would pick it over and over again.