Best Rain Barrel & Accessories Review
Last Updated 09/28/20
A rain barrel comes with various functions and cost-saving advantages. And it’s a great choice if you’ve got a large lawn or an outdoor garden.
However, getting the best rain barrel can be tricky without the right information. Find out all you need to know with me.
Best Rain Barrel and Accessories
Green thumb Gardener occasionally links to product and/or services offered by vendors to assist you with all your gardening needs. Some of these may be affiliate links, meaning we earn a small commission if items are purchased. Check our terms here.
|4-Port Deluxe Rain Barrel||Check Current Price|
|Good Ideas SV-ERS Rain Saver Barrel||Check Current Price|
|Rain Barrel, Grade Barrel, Upcycled||Check Current Price|
|Flat-Back Rain Barrel||Check Current Price|
|RTS Home Accents Rain Barrel & Spigot||Check Current Price|
|Good Ideas Kha Rain Rain Barrel||Check Current Price|
|Madison Rain Barrel||Check Current Price|
|Emsco Group 2243-1 Rescue Rain Barrel||Check Current Price|
Rain Barrel Accessories
|Rain Barrel Stand||Check Current Price|
|EarthMinded DIY Rain Barrel Diverter Kit||Check Current Price|
|Oatey Mystic Residential Downspouts||Check Current Price|
Best Rain Barrel Reviews
First on the list is the 4-Port Deluxe Rain Barrel. That’s a top choice if you’re looking for capacity, functionality, and durability in one pick.
It allows you to enjoy access to 75 gallons of water when full. Yet, its 28 × 36″ dimension means you can still save space. It also comes with an overflow system that allows you to avoid getting your walls and foundation all soaked with water.
What Caught My Attention
It’s not only convenient and easy to install, but it also comes with multiple ports (four). In turn, this means you can fit it into a system of rainwater barrels easily.
There’s also a wide opening at the barrel’s top, which makes monitoring the barrel’s content easy.
- It comes with a removable anti-dirt screen that makes it easy to keep your rain barrel clean
- It comes with a UV-resistant polyethylene that ensures your water doesn’t react to constant sunlight
- It has a large capacity that ensures you can save effectively for dry days
- It comes with a plastic spigot, which might not attract much durability compared to the brass option
- There have been some complaints about leaks
CHECK CURRENT PRICE: 4-Port Deluxe Rain Barrel
One good idea is to purchase this 50-gallon rain saver barrel that comes with a bespoke planter post-Colonial design. It’s not just a stylish option but also functional and sturdy.
It has a flat-back design that saves space. Coupled with its 31.5 × 19.5 × 24.25″ dimension, you can easily fit it into your preferred location without losing any of its functions.
What Caught My Attention
It comes with two spigots that ensure you can easily access the stored water. These spigots are brass made, meaning you enjoy the durability. Even more, it means you can service two areas simultaneously with this rain barrel.
You can always fit in a 5-gallon bucket while using a hose.
- It comes with a mesh screen that prevents dirt and other contaminants from entering the rain barrel.
- It has a flat-back design that guarantees suitability with your walls
- It has a routed self-drain system that diverts spills to the frontal side of your drum to prevent your foundation from getting flooded
- Consumers have complained that the barrel leaks after a short while
- Some consumers complained that the barrel swelled up and failed to revert to its original shape
CHECK CURRENT PRICE: Good Ideas SV-ERS Savannah Elevated Garden Rain Saver Barrel
This is a credible rain barrel option that comes with functionality while being durable. It comes with a removable top lid that ensures you can easily access the barrel for cleaning and monitoring.
With this option, you also enjoy a BPA-free drum. This way, you can easily use it with your herbs, fruits, and veggies without worrying about their safety.
You also enjoy a brass overflow valve and spigot. This ensures that your barrel is durable and doesn’t get damaged easily.
It comes with a 58-gallon capacity and a dimension of 22 × 22 × 40″.
What Caught My Attention
This rain barrel comes partially assembled. And this allows you to conveniently place the overflow system in a position that fits into your setup.
This option is also environmentally friendly as you save another drum from ending up in landfills.
- It is a food-grade, repurposed barrel
- It comes with a plastic anti-dirt screen that prevents leaves, sticks, animals, and other forms of dirt from getting into the drum
- It comes when a 100% waterproof silicone caulk
- It comes off as expensive when compared to other options
- Consumers have complained about its overflow system due to the small inner diameter of the overflow valve
CHECK CURRENT PRICE: Rain Barrel, DIY Kit, Used Food Grade Barrel, Upcycled
Just like its name, this is another attractive option to get rainwater for your various use. And it comes with a flat-back appearance that allows it to fit in easily and conserve your space.
When you consider it with its 25 × 36 × 19″ dimension, you realize that you can easily connect other rain barrels for optimal effect.
It also comes with a 50-gallon capacity, meaning you’ll get enough storage capacity. It then has a brass spigot that you can then use to discharge the water. Also, since it is brass, you get to enjoy a durable spigot.
What Caught My Attention
With this option, you enjoy a sturdy and solid looking rain barrel. Even more, it comes made of durable polyethylene that ensures you don’t miss out on value for money.
- It has a flat back structure that brings space-saving advantages
- Its spigot stands at a high distance allowing you to access its water content easily
- It has an overflow system that allows you to avoid getting your foundation all wet
- Consumers have complained about leakages around the bottom valve
- Consumers have complained that it loses its stability when full
CHECK CURRENT PRICE: Flat-Back Rain Barrel
Another 50-gallon barrel, the RTS Home Accents, is another excellent choice. It comes with an oak mold that ensures your rain barrel is durable. With it, you’ll hardly have to worry about rot, fading, and insect infestation.
It also comes with a flat-back design customized within a 33.5 × 24 × 18.25″, which ensures you save space. You can easily fit into your garden. You can also link it up to other barrels without stress.
What Caught My Attention
With it, you enjoy a molded stand that allows you to raise it easily. You can always place your bucket under without the risk of unstable stands. Then, there’s the high-quality spigot that offers superior durability.
- You enjoy an aluminum screen that ensures debris and other animals have no way into your rain barrel
- Comes with a nice classy look
- It has a front overflow system that ensures your walls don’t get flooded in cases of spills
- Consumers have complained about leaks within a short period of usage
- It doesn’t come with a removable lid, which makes monitoring and cleaning harder
- Consumers have complained that the screen tends to blow or wash off easily
CHECK CURRENT PRICE: RTS Home Accents 50-Gallon Rain Barrel & Spigot
This is another excellent choice thanks to its large capacity – 50 gallons. This ensures you have enough water to prepare for hot days.
Even more, it enjoys the make-up of polyethylene resin that’s extremely UV-resistant. In turn, this means you don’t have to worry about your water catching algae due to the sun.
It also has an overflow system that directs water to the front and stops your wall from getting all messy.
What Caught My Attention
With it, you get a rotationally molded rain barrel that can withstand splitting and crack even during winter. You also get a barrel with a 31 × 23 × 22″ dimension, meaning you don’t have to worry about space.
- It comes with a flat-back pattern that allows you to save space and connect additional rain barrels where necessary
- It has a brass spigot (3/4 inches) that makes it easier for you to use buckets with it
- It comes with a plastic anti-dirt screen that makes it easier for you to keep out dirt, bugs, and other animals
- Some customers have complained about leaks and split after using it for a while
- It does not come with a removable lid, and that makes installation and cleaning challenging
CHECK CURRENT PRICE: Good Ideas RW50-Kha Rain Wizard Rain Barrel
This is another great option to collect rainwater. It comes with beauty, functionality, and a reasonable capacity to save rainwater. It comes with a 40-gallon capacity fitted into a 22 × 1o × 34.5” dimension.
In turn, this allows you to fit the Madison barrel into your location, hassle-free.
It also comes with a functional discharge system. It has a 4 inches hose that you can use in your garden. The great thing is that it has a shut-off valve that allows you to fill your watering can easily.
What Caught My Attention
When it comes to the Madison Rain Barrel, its exquisite design allows you to collect water in style. Although it looks like it comes from wood, it doesn’t.
It comes from top-tier polyethylene. So, you don’t have to worry about staining and painting.
- It comes with UV inhibitors that allow your water to stay in top condition while its exterior sparkles
- It comes with a top basin that can hold watering cans or flowering plants
- It’s a classy design that will keep your house beautiful even after your water needs end
- It is quite expensive compared to other available options
- It might not provide the best gallon capacity when compared to other options
CHECK CURRENT PRICE: Madison Rain Barrel
The final 50-gallon rain barrel on this list is a bespoke option that comes with a refined antique finish. It’s sure to add flair and class to your garden or lawn with its 19.88 × 27.88 × 29.88 dimensions.
It also has an integrated planter that supports personalized designs. For instance, you can use the water to grow your plants on it.
You also enjoy an overflow system that ensures you have nothing to worry about when it comes to your foundation.
Also, there’ll be no standing water to attract mosquitoes and other pests.
What Caught My Attention
It comes with a diverter system that allows you to connect your barrel to your downspout easily. Even more, you enjoy a clear installation guide that supports a seamless setup.
- It comes with a water diverter component that you can apply to various uses
- It has an overflow system that prevents your wall or foundation from soaking
- It comes with a nice design that fits into most homes
- Consumers have complained about leaks around the bottom area of the barrel
- Consumers have complained that the system bulges when full
CHECK CURRENT PRICE: Emsco Group 2243-1 Rescue 50 Gallon Flatback Whiskey Rain Barrel
Top Accessories for Your Rain Barrel System
One accessory you must get for your rain barrel is this rain barrel stand. It allows you to raise your barrel and enjoy easy access to your spigot.
This option comes in a dimension of 22″ square × 18″ H. As such, it can support considerable weight reaching up to 750 gallons. As such, with this option, you can easily support all the rain barrels on this list.
It is made of durable cedar. Then, its corners receive the protection of rustproof aluminum. This way, you can enjoy the stand for a long time without any issue.
The great thing about this choice is that you can easily install it. You won’t have any issues placing your barrel on it and getting your rainwater collection system to work.
- It supports an easy installation
- It comes with aluminum brackets that ensure durability and long-lasting experience with your rain barrel stand
- It can take quite the weight, reaching as much as 750 gallons
- It might come off as quite expensive
CHECK CURRENT PRICE: Top Accessories for Your Rain Barrel System
This is another kit that allows you to install a functional rain collection system in your home. It comes with various components such as a winter hole cover, spigot, cover, hole saw set, drain, water seals, and screw. You can also count on a comprehensive installation manual that makes things easy.
With this, all you’ll need is a rain barrel. Then, with some tools, you can start getting water from your garage, outbuilding, or home.
This kit is also multifunctional as it can fit into any regular 3- × 4-inch downspout. It also comes with the patented FlexiFit diverter that ensures overflows don’t have destructive effects on your homes.
This system automatically diverts water away once your barrel gets filled up. This way, mosquitoes, and other pests don’t accumulate.
- It supports easy and quick installation with its extensive instruction
- It’s an industry-leading rainwater collection system
- It provides all the necessary components that you need for your rainwater collection
- It doesn’t fit into the conventional 2- × 4-inch downspout. You will also need to measure your downspout before getting this kit
- It might come off as expensive
CHECK CURRENT PRICE: EarthMinded DIY Rain Barrel Diverter Kit
This is a functional accessory that allows you to enjoy a better experience with your rain barrel. It’s a kit that allows you to direct water into rain barrels from a downspout. It also comes with a filtration system that ensures dirt such as leaves don’t get into the barrel.
Also, you can fit this design into your residential downspout. You don’t have to stress as it comes designed to fit into it. It’s a two-piece style that fits downspouts of 2 × 3″ dimension.
This option is also highly durable thanks to its UV-resistant component. So, you can trust that your extended usage under the sun will not damage it. Even more, you can always paint the system to fit into your home’s exterior.
- It comes with a UV-resistant plastic component that ensures high durability
- It comes with an installation guide that supports easy installation
- It comes with a 4-feet hi-flow hose that allows easy connection with your downspout
- Consumers have complained that it overflows during a heavy downpour
- Customers have complained about the hose getting bent
CHECK CURRENT PRICE: Oatey Mystic Rainwater Collection System Fits 2″ X 3″ Residential Downspouts
6 Advantages of A Rain Barrel
I don’t need to tell why it’s essential for your rain barrel to come with some advantages. I’m sure no one wants to buy something that brings nothing to the table.
Well, a rain barrel doesn’t fall under such a category. It comes with various advantages.
So, are you looking to spur yourself into buying a rain barrel? Here are some benefits.
1. It Improves Water Quality
Perhaps its most significant benefit is that you get improved water quality with rain barrels.
Typically, your water will run off and cross various areas after getting to the ground. In turn, this means it will pick up pollutants, pesticides, and even fertilizers. This significantly reduces water quality.
Then, with a rain barrel, you can avoid the rainwater encountering such contaminants. Great right?
2. It Helps You Conserve Water
You can’t deny that you need water in abundance when maintaining your home. Well, your water needs increase when you have a garden. And without a rain barrel, you’ll need to focus on your tap water for all your needs.
Well, with a rain barrel, you can now conserve your tap water. You tap into another water source. So, next time you need to wash your cars or clean the window, you don’t have to stress your tap water.
3. It Helps You Cope with Drought
I bet I’m not the only one that has trouble getting water during hot summer. Well, this is because of the considerable reliance of everyone on the available water.
In those hot summers, you’ll need to conserve water. And you might just be unable to meet all your water needs.
However, with a rain barrel, you have free water stored up that you rely on. Yes, you can’t ingest it. Still, you can use it for other activities in your lawn, garden, and home. This way, you preserve available water for drinking purposes.
4. It’s Great for Your Plants
If you don’t get a rain barrel for anybody, then get it for your plants. Rain barrels means you can get natural water for your plants.
Your plants don’t have to bear the chemical that comes with municipal water. In turn, this means they can thank you for the effort with greener and better growth.
5. It Prevents Erosion
When it rains, especially during a heavy downpour, your soil bears the brunt. Usually, your soul gets washed away.
Luckily, another benefit that comes with rain barrels is that it allows you to avoid this. By placing the barrels at strategic locations, there’s less water flowing heavily on the ground.
In turn, you preserve the soil. And, of course, the nutrients in the ground.
6. It Comes with Monetary Benefits
Yes, you’re paying to get a rain barrel. But the good thing is that you can recoup your money and more in the long run.
Look at how much you pay per month for water. And calculate an estimate of how much of it comes from watering your garden and some non-drinking uses.
Now, with a rain barrel, you can beat down your monthly payments. You take advantage of rainwater that’s free for your use.
How to Choose the Best Rain Barrel
Now, you know that rain barrels are an ideal buy. So, the time to take a step and buy has come. However, you’ll need to be sure you’re getting the right barrel.
Guess what? You can’t take any risk with this. Precisely, this might be the difference between a valuable purchase and a wrong purchase.
Don’t worry, here’s what to look out for to make the best choice.
1. Its Overflow System
The first thing I believe you should be looking at is the overflow system. From this, you can tell you need to get one that has an overflow system.
It’s simple. Your barrel would most likely overflow, especially when the downpour is heavy. In such a case, where there is no overflow system, excess water will spill.
In turn, it may pool around your home’s foundation, causing damage. Even worse, if you place it close to your garden, the water might spill downhill. Then, you’ll find it accumulating in your garden and turning it into the mud.
So, you want a rain barrel with an overflow system.
Then, you want one that can link up to other barrels or supports flexible dispensing. This way, it fits into your garden structure and layout.
Next up is the capacity of the rain barrel. You want something that can cater to your water needs.
However, that doesn’t mean going for the biggest barrel if you don’t need one.
So, your best bet is to consider your water needs. Are you in a hot climate where drought is a reality? If yes, then you might want to go for a bigger barrel. On the other hand, a wet climate will need a smaller rain barrel.
Also, remember that your choice comes with a risk. For instance, a big barrel can pose a security risk if it were to burst. It can also be quite challenging to transport. On the other hand, a smaller barrel means you might get stranded.
So, don’t joke with this tip.
When was the last time I wanted something that wouldn’t last? Never. I bet that’s the same with you.
As such, you’ll want to ensure that you go for a durable barrel.
This is even more important when you remember you can hardly repair cracks and leaks when they occur. So, ensure the material in use is one that supports durability.
Also, you’ll need to get something that comes with UV protection. Here’s the thing. Your rain barrel gets exposed to the sun almost every day.
In time, you’ll find algae growing inside without UV protection.
So, you want something that won’t cave to the sun easily.
4. Other Components
When you’ve catered to all the issues above, then you’ll need to look out for other components.
The first thing will be to ensure that your rain barrel has a secure cover. You’ll then want it to have a lid.
The reason is straightforward. You don’t want the water to get filled up with dirt and contaminants. You also don’t want living animals in. So, ensure these options are there to help you secure your rainwater.
How to Install Your Rain Barrel
There’s no point in getting the best rain barrel if you won’t use it. However, just before that, you’ll need to install the rain barrel.
Unless this isn’t your first time, it might be quite tricky doing this even with a user manual. I’ve been there before, and I can tell you how frustrating it is.
Well, that means I can also tell you how to install your rain barrel without stress. Ready? Let’s go.
1. Select A Location
So, your first consideration is a location. And you’ll need to remember that you have to place it close to a downspout.
I would advise you to place it close to or inside your garden for more convenience.
2. Get A Sturdy Base
Next, you need to ensure that your location has a sturdy base. And this is because you’ll be placing a barrel that will house water.
They are very heavy, and anything less than a sturdy base will crack. You can even add concrete paving to ensure it’s sturdier.
And, yes, ensure the area is level. If not, your barrel will topple over one of these days.
3. Get an Elevated Stand
Next up, you need a firm stand. And this is even more important in cases where your spigot stands at the lower part of your barrel.
The thing is that you’ll be unable to place a bucket under your barrel without the stand. So, best to get a stand.
4. Drill A Hole
Now you’ll need to drill a hole in the downspout. And another one in the rain barrel if it doesn’t already have one.
The trick is to connect the downspout to the barrel. For you to do this, here’s what you’ll need to do.
- Measure the height of your barrel, taking into consideration the stand if you decide to use one
- Now using the measurement you earlier obtained, determine the spot on the downspout that’s equal in length to your barrel’s height
- Mark the spot three inches lower than the first mark
- Now make a hole inside the downspout
- If your rain barrel doesn’t have a hole, make another hole here and ensure it’s close to your downspout
5. Connect Your Rain Barrel to the Downspout
Next up, using a diverter, connect your rain barrel to your downspout. For you to do this, place the diverter inside the downspout and screw it.
Then, use the hose you find on your diverter to connect it to the rain barrel.
6. Cover It
Now you’re practically done. All you’ll need to do is cover the rain barrel with its lid. And you can wait for the rain to fall.
I’ve told you about eight great rain barrels that you can get. However, you’ll most likely still have to pick one, even if you’re buying more than one.
In that case, I would recommend you go for the 4-Port Deluxe Rain Barrel. And the reasons are quite evident.
First, it comes with a 75-gallon capacity that ensures you won’t lack water even during a hot summer. There’s also the four-port capacity that brings excellent functionality.
Then, there’s the UV-resistant capacity that ensures durability isn’t in doubt. Coupled with its mesh screen that prevents debris, you get full value for money.
Also, you don’t have to worry about getting your foundation or walls soaked. It has an effective overflow system that ensures this.
So, now you should be ready to make a pick. Go on, and enjoy saving for the rainy days.
Is A Rain Barrel A Good Idea?
Yes, it’s a good idea if you’re not drinking it. You can apply it to a wide range of non-drinking uses, and it’s even a better option for your plants as it’s chemical-free.
Why Are Rain Barrels Illegal?
Rain barrels stood prohibited because it infringed on the water rights that existed since the mid-1800s in many states. Fortunately, some states in America, like California, now allow you to catch water with rain barrels.
Do Rain Barrels Really Save Money?
Yes, rain barrels can help you save money thanks to reduced water bills. The EPA estimates that rain barrels save an average homeowner the cost of 1300 gallons of water.
What Is the Best Rain Barrel Diverter?
You’ll be making a smart choice with the EarthMinded DIY Rain Barrel Diverter. Not only does it support great functionality, but it’s also durable and cost-effective.